How to choose the best home care service provider
Choosing a home care service provider can be stressful and demanding sometimes because you need to choose the best and the ones your family and loved ones can trust. We have to remember that there are different between home cares from home health care.
This article will go a long way to educate you on how to choose home health care and what to expect. Before we proceed further, we have to consider what are home care service and the people who need home care service.
What is home care service?
Home care service is a non-medical assistance offers in home for adults who cannot perform any activities on their own either due to medical reason or one reason or the other.
Home care services give the adults opportunities to remain at the comfort of your home while receiving the services rather than being in a facility that can be boring at times.
We should have it in mind that home care service is different from home health care because home health care require trained therapists, doctors and register nurses to offer assistance at home.
Who are home care services for?
Not everyone are entitle to a home care services, we are going to list out for you the people that are meant for receive home care service.
- People who are aging
- People who needs assistance to live independently
- People who are managing chronic health issues
- People who are recovering from a medical setback
- Those who has special needs
- Or those who are disable
What can home care service do for you?
- Home care service can assistance you in household service that includes keeping the home in order, light cleaning and laundry.
- Home care service can assist in personal care where they help the person with bathing, dressing, preparing foods and grooming. The job can be done together with the person receiving assistance rather than doing them for them alone.
- Home care service can help them by taking them for shopping, watching television with them and socializing them.
- They can give them companionship especially for those who suffer from Alzheimer’s or dementia disease and need someone around them during the day.
Different types of home care service
There are different types of home care and lots of people don’t know that but this article will put you through and tell you what they stand for. Not every home care service offers all the different types of home care services. There are three types of home care service and they includes;
- Private duty nursing care
- Personal care and companionship
- Home health care
- Private duty nursing care: private duty nursing care is also known as home-based skilled nursing, catastrophic care, long-term nursing care, hourly nursing, tracheotomy care, nursing care, ventilator care, shift nursing, and adult nursing. Private duty nursing care is a long-term nursing care at home for adults with a chronic illness, disability and injury.
Private duty nursing care service may include; Tracheotomy care, Administering medications, Ventilator care, Ostomy/gastronomy care, Catheter care, Feeding tube care, and Care for diseases and conditions such as Traumatic brain injury, ALS, Spinal cord injury.
- Personal care and companionship: personal care and companionship is also known as non-medical care, senior care, assistive care, home health aide services, companion care, and homemaker care. They help with everyday activities like bathing and dressing, household tasks, meal preparation to enable independence and safety.
Personal care and companionship service may include; Companionship and engaging in hobbies and activities, Assistance with meal planning and preparation, light housekeeping, laundry, errands, medication reminders, and escorting to appointments, Assistance with self-care, such as grooming, bathing, dressing, and using the toilet, and Supervision for someone with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
- Home health care: Home health care is also known as Medicare-certified home health care, intermittent skilled care, or visiting nurse services. They are Short-term, physician-directed care designed to help a patient prevent or recover from an illness, injury, or hospital stay.
Home health care service may include; Speech language pathology, Short-term nursing services, Home health aide services, Medical social work, and Occupational therapy.
How to choose the best home care service provider
Now let’s discuss on how to choose the best home care service provider? Below are different points to consider when choosing the home care provider.
You have to consider how have they handled previous home care challenges? Are they able to provide references? And how long has this company and/or caregiver been providing professional home care? Generally experience really matters when choosing your home care provider.
- Does the home care provider perform regular quality assurance checks?
Does the home care provider regularly pop in to support staff and check the client is ok? Are they able to monitor the key events and incidents and measure outcomes for the client? Make sure they always perform unannounced spot checks on their staff. They must be happy to communicate with and work alongside the other health professionals?
- Know your liability:
Always consider issues such as insurance, taxes, liability and worker’s compensation, background checks/oversight and training and backup coverage. May while fully licensed private duty home health provider offer more comprehensive services and protections as employers of the caregivers. Always understand the possible liabilities and ramifications involved when hiring a service provider privately.
Make sure to do your research and find out providers who have a history in the community and the industry. Do your research and check if the home care service providers are involved with national and local associations such as the Area Agency on Aging and Alzheimer’s Association.
- Home care provider qualification:
Make sure the home care provider have some qualification, it is not important to have medical background but they should be trained professionally as to carry out their duty. They should be train because training is very vital and you should look out for the train providers. They should be skill on how to treat the client and be polite.
Getting recommendations is very vital when choosing a home care service provider. You can get recommendations from trusted professionals and community members. You can also get recommendation from your family, friends, doctors, or other medical service provider.
What you can expect in home care service provider
- Medication reminders
- Grocery shopping
- Respite care
- Recreational activities
- Personal Care Services
- Toileting and incontinence
- Feeding and special diet and meal preparation
- Mail assistance and organization
- Light housekeeping
- Companionship & Care Services
- Errand services
- Conversation and companionship
- Incidental transportation